Monday, August 18, 2008

I don't like this feeling


Today was the orientation for Reese and John's Mother's Day Out. All went pretty well. We are at a new "school" this year, so there is always some adjusting. Reese seemed to be enjoying it when I picked her up from her class, though (as evidenced by the lack of jumping up and running to me when she saw me at the door). So, I am optimistic that we'll be happy here.

On our way out, we saw a little girl (and her mom) that is in Sunday School with Reese at church. I was talking to the mom and Reese ran up to the little girl. (Both mom and girl shall remain nameless to protect the innocent. I don't know the mom well at all--as we are not in Sunday School together--so doubtful she'll ever see this, thank goodness.)

Reese: Hello
Little Girl: I don't like you, Reese! (in a quite hateful tone)
Reese: (grabbing little girl's hand) But, I'm sweet. You do like me.
Little Girl: No, I don't like you, Reese!

Ok, at this point, Reese was about to burst into tears and I was just standing there dumbfounded. (Thankfully, Reese bowed up and didn't cry.) Luckily, we were at our car at this point, so the other mom and girl left us. Reese looked up at me and in her sweetest, broken-hearted voice: "Why doesn't [insert name] like me, Mommy?" I just told her that the little girl was probably having a bad day, like all of us do. I must admit that it hurt my feelings a bit that the other mom didn't take more seriously how badly Reese was hurting. But, I'm sure, like me, she was in a hurry to get home and didn't notice the impact it had on my little one.

Later this afternoon, my mom asked her if she enjoyed playing with the other kids at school and she said, "No, they don't like me."--which, I am assuming is stemming from our after school episode.

Ok--what is KILLING ME today isn't this one episode...I'm sure Reese will forget it before I know it. It's that we are obviously getting to the stage where Reese will have to face this. There are so many things in this life that I want and expect Reese to face head on....not making the whatever-sports team, not getting an A on something-even if she worked hard on it, not being the most popular in class, not always wearing the "right" brands. I don't want my child to always be the one to get the "smiley-face sticker" b/c that is not real life. But, I'll be honest, I think that is going to be so much easier for me in theory than in reality. Because what happened to my little girl today truly hurt my heart. I think I may have to just crawl in bed with her tonight and hug on her until we both fall asleep. I feel such a need to make sure she knows that she is loved.

I guess all I can really do about it is try to teach her that the way that little girl treated her hurt....and that it is ok to have those feelings....but to use that feeling to try to never make someone else feel that way. Because, I know that Reese will not be innocent in the way of hurting other's feelings....no kid is.

---------------

On another note, John was sick all weekend. My happy, playful little boy looked at me like this all weekend...

In short, my kids need to give their ol' mama's heart a break! : )

1 comment:

Mary Grace said...

Good thing I don't live in B'ham. All I got to say.

MG